title:Top 10 Questions to Ask Yourself and Why Self Knowledge is the KEY to Having The Life You Want
author:Dr. Dorene Lehavi
Start by asking yourself some specific questions. Keep a record of your answers in a notebook or journal.
Here are 10 questions to begin your journey and remember, YOU will always be a WORK IN PROGRESS.
1) If you could do anything you want to tomorrow, what would it be?
The answer should not be something that is an escape from what you ordinarily would be doing, but in more positive terms of a true dream.
2) What are your core values?
Core values became yours in childhood and you would not be you if you did not respect those. Make a list and then pare it down to the 5 that speak to you most strongly.
3) What are your special talents?
4) What do you do better than most people you know?
5) What were your dreams as a child?
If you have trouble remembering, go back and look at early photographs. Notice details to jog your memory.
6) What is the thing you are most proud of accomplishing in your life so far?
If you are tempted to answer “getting into college” or “passing the bar”, ask yourself something more personal and unique. For example, ask yourself if “getting into college” would have been the choice you made if it hadn’t been expected of you. Would you have preferred to learn a trade had it been an acceptable choice? What moments of triumph did you have as a child?
7) What will you regret not doing in your life if you continue as you are now?
8) What do you want people to say about you after you are no longer living? What is your legacy?
9) What do you want to do when you retire?
10) Outside of parents who influenced your life more than anyone else; who had an impact on your life and what was it about that person that meant something to you?
The next step is to put self knowledge into action. That means you begin planning your life based on what you know about yourself. You notice if WHAT you do, act, behave, work, and make choices are in sync with WHO you are. It is complex because we are all influenced by the outside world to make the choices we do.
In the immortal words of Joseph Campbell, “Follow your bliss.”
When you know yourself and act in accordance, the path becomes clear.