Stuffed Turkey Breasts with Butternut Squash and Figs is a wonderful One-Pan Fall dish. This is also Whole30 compliant as well as gluten-free, low-carb, keto and Paleo. Turkey tenderloins are stuffed with sauteed butternut squash, spinach and figs, a meal-in-one with savory and sweet flavors. Figs are seasonal, so if you can’t find them, you could use another fruit such as pears or even apples.
Covering the skillet while it roasts in the oven prevents the turkey from drying out, and also gives you some pan juices to spoon on top just before serving.
Stuffed Turkey Breasts with Butternut Squash and Figs
Stuffed Turkey Breasts with Butternut Squash and Figs is a wonderful Fall dish. Turkey tenderloins are stuffed with sauteed butternut squash, spinach and figs, a meal-in-one with savory and sweet flavors. Figs are seasonal, so if you can’t find them, you could use another fruit such as pears or even apples.
- 2 boneless turkey tenderloins (1 lb total)
- 1 tsp kosher salt (diamond crystal)
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 1 small (1/3 cup) white onion, chopped
- (6 oz) 1 1/4 cups diced butternut squash, 1/2-inch dice
- 5 black mission figs, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 3 sage leaves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp crushed black pepper
- cooking twine – 6 to 8 pieces
- cooking spray
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Add onions and sauté for two minutes, or until golden. Add butternut squash and 2 tablespoons water and cover; cook on low for 10 minutes. Remove lid and add figs, garlic, spinach, salt, sage, and pepper and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Cut a pocket into the sides of the tenderloins, careful not to cut all the way through at the ends. Season the inside and outside of the turkey with salt.
- Stuff each turkey breast with about 3/4 cup of squash mixture. Cut cooking twine long enough to tie each breast with 3 to 4 pieces of twine. Cut off extra twine.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In the skillet over medium-high heat, lightly spray with cooking spray. Carefully sear each turkey breast on each side (3 sides. Don’t sear on stuff end.) If your skillet is oven-safe, cover with foil and place in the center of the oven (If not, then transfer to baking dish and cover with foil), place directly into oven and cook for 30 – 35 minutes. Allow to sit 5 minutes before cutting off twine and slicing each turkey breast in 4 slices.
Yield: 4 Servings, Serving Size: 2 slices
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 2
- Points +: 6
- Calories: 258
- Total Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 51mg
- Sodium: 878mg
- Carbohydrates: 51g
- Fiber: 5g
- Sugar: 12g
- Protein: 22g