When it’s chicken and noodle soup my family craves, we love this easy homemade chicken soup, loaded with chicken, veggies and our favorite pasta shape – Acini di Pepe. This is pure comfort food, and leftovers taste even better the next day.
You probably heard me say this before, the only whole wheat pasta my family will eat is Delallo’s. I don’t know how they do it, but the taste and texture are better than any other brands I have tried. I also love that their whole wheat pastas come in so many different shapes, more shapes than any other brands I have seen.
For this soup, I personally like using boneless chicken thighs in the soup, but breasts would also work fine. Madison likes when I pack this soup for school lunch in her thermos (minus the spinach). To reheat leftovers, simply add more broth or water to thin it out if it’s too thick. This is also a great freezer friendly dish, you can double the recipe and freeze the rest.
Chicken Soup with Spinach and Whole Wheat Acini di Pepe
When it’s chicken and noodle soup my family craves, we love this easy homemade chicken soup, loaded with chicken, veggies and our favorite pasta shape – Acini di Pepe.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of all fat (about 1 pound total)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup peeled and sliced carrot
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 cup Delallo Whole Wheat Acini di Pepe (2.5 oz)
- grated Parmesan, optional for serving
- Season the chicken with salt.
- Heat the oil in a medium nonstick pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic and sauté until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the chicken, broth, bay leaves and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to medium-low until the chicken shreds easily, about 25 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaves, coarsely shred the chicken with two forks and return to the soup, add the pasta and cook according to package directions, adding the baby spinach at the last minute to wilt.
Yield: 4 Servings, Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 4
- Points +:
- Calories: 266
- Total Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 95mg
- Sodium: 772mg
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 3g
- Protein: 28g
Made in partnership with Delallo, a brand I love and use every day in my kitchen.